Hello and Welcome

If you're new to this site, it may help you to start
here.

Thank you


Baby T's Story, Chapter 15- Breastfeeding reunion

Wednesday 3/7/12


Baby T and I are adjusting to life in Peds.
It's so nice to be going from him being so intensely monitored to nearly nothing.
After a weight check in the morning they leave his leads off so I can pick him up whenever I wish.
It's much easier to pick him up with only an NG tube to negotiate.
It is relieving to be able to comfort him in my arms.


I meet Baby T's new care team in the morning.
Rounds are done in the hallway as the room is too small to hold everyone.
I get the news that RT will remove his nasal canula
and that I can breastfeed my baby once more!!
My excitement is contagious.
When rounds are over I burst back into the room, and skip over to my baby's bed.
I encounter his smiles and tell him that he gets to breastfeed again.
Then I realize that he may not remember how to breastfeed...


One of my favorite RT's comes by to remove his nasal canula.
She's thrilled by his progress and enjoys freeing him from another tube.



I request the nurse to stop his NG feed.
I decide to nurse Baby T before IB Dad arrives so that he won't be so distracted.


Our nursing reunion is far from the glowing reunion I had envisioned.
He bites and can't seem to get a good latch.
His suck is weak and he gags a bit which causes me alot of anxiety.
He improves quickly though.
Reuniting with my nursling is bliss.

OT and a pediatrician visit during our nursing session and feel that he is doing well.
OT explains that he may take a bit longer negotiating breastfeeding
since milk/thinner fluids take more muscle coordination than solids.
They both feel that he may not need his NG tube upon discharge.


IB Dad arrives and we decide to celebrate Baby T's progress by eating take-out greek food.
It feels good to enjoy the strides he is making.
We feel confident that he'll be coming home soon.


A dr. feels that discharging T soon would be best since
the peds floor is rampant with RSV patients.
Baby T likely isn't strong enough to handle
any kind of respiratory problem.


Discharge.
It sounds too good to be true!
We continue to work on breastfeeding though Baby T is given
some breastmilk through the NG tube at night.










No comments:

Post a Comment